Tuesday, April 28, 2009

2nd Try to Update My Blog

Hello All;

I posted a new blog update a few days and ago and lo and behold, no update shows up. How frustrating for me! So I will attempt to try this again. Myemployment situation has changed a bit. I am still at Felony Probation & Parole, though I am looking for something that pays better, which there honestly isn't much out there. Not to mention that God seems to want me where I'm at because not only am I not offered a position anywhere else, but I rarely even get the chance to interview for the position I've applied for. I'm not sure why He wants me to remain where I am, but I rarely understand why things happen (or don't happen) in my life. Believe it or not I've come a long way in the past 2 1/2 years in trusting God to know that He really does know best. Last Friday was my last day at the craft store Sierra's that I was working for the past 7 months part time. I enjoyed the work and the income was nice but I found out two things. One, I've actually spent more money in the last 7 months than I have before (not all at Sierra's) and two my health has definately suffered since working two jobs. Two weeks ago I landed myself in the ER at our local hospital with unbearable stomach pain. I'm thinking I have a horrible ulcer right? So I visit my dr. who sends me to the ER. After 35 hours of excruciating pain, I was taken into the OR for a non-surgical procedure to remove two gallstones that were stuck in my bile duct and to remove the others that were still in my system. Yes, I said gallstones, and yes, I did have my gallbladder removed about 4 years ago. Now I know what you're thinking, you didn't think that you could still get gallstones without a gallbladder right? WRONG! There are some of us out there that manage to somehow still produce them, and I'm just lucky enough to be one of those people. So during the procedure to remove the stones they once again placed a shunt in my bile duct to keep it clear in case I produced anymore stones in the near future. Tomorrow I have a check up with the dr. and I'm guessing we will set the date to go back into the OR and remove the shunt in a few more weeks. UGH! At least this time by actually doing the procedure in the OR they were able to completely knock me out the first time. I will now be on a medication for the rest of my life (more than likely) to stop my body from producing the gallstones. Believe me between the cost of a prescription compare to the cost, not to mention the pain of gallstones, I'll opt for the medication. During the week I was out due to the recovery I lost 5 pounds, not to mention I used almost all of my vacation time. I've been with the state 5 years in August and every year but one I've had to use major vacation time to recover from surgeries. I'm wondering if I could have my next surgery done in Hawaii? I'm working hard to recover some of my lost time by working my lunches right now and to save the couple of days I have left for the recovery when the dr removes the shunt. Though I'm thinking the recovery will be quicker because I won't have to deal with the pain that I dealt with this last time. They did give me a type of morephine to help with the gallstone pain but it gave me a horrendous migraine. We didn't figure out that the medication was causing the headache until about 4 hours before the procedure. I do plan on taking not only the day of but the following day off also. The medication tends to stay in my system a little longer than it used to. (In other words, I'm getting older and don't recover from these things like I used to) I thank all of you who were praying for me because I wouldn't have made it without them. And my wonderful daughters were so supportive. I think the hospital gave me the smallest room in the hospital, no kidding, so I asked that people not come and visit me (including Kass and the kids) and Kris was working, so she would just pop in the elevator and check up on my during the days an then update the rest of the family. Finally Wednesday afternoon I was allowed to go home and Kris picked me up and took me to her house for the afternoon. I went home that night to sleep (I really needed my own bed). The next day Kass and the kids came and took me up to her house until Sunday. So both of my daughters helped me tremendously and I couldn't have survived without both of them doing what they did. I truly do not know how people get by in life without family. Kevin has called me several times checking up on my progress and I treasure each conversation we have, not to mention everyone of my family in Oregon.

Well that's about it for now. I'm spending my evenings reading, crafting, sewing and sometimes nothing at all. So far, I'm enjoying every minute of it! Take care you all!

3 comments:

Soccer Mom said...

That totally sucks. I hope your recovery is quick! We will add you to our prayers as well! Keep us updated on your happenings! Daughters are GREAT!

Deb said...

I think you have been thru enough!!! Time for life to get a whole lot better! Starting with your health! I know what it's like to spend all of your vacation time on surgery recovery time and it does SUCK MAJOR!!! Did that when I worked at the Oregon Coast Aquarium....
Know that you are always in our prayers over here.
Love you bunches of baby pink roses!!!!!!

Angi said...

Pat I was shocked to hear you spent time in the ER! I am so glad they have the gall stone thing figured out. I hope the meds do their job so you don't have to experience the pain again. We think of you often and we will keep you in our prayers. I don't think I could work at a craft store because of the spending-the-paycheck thing! That would not be a smart job for me to take! HA! Well, have fun keeping up with your crafts--keep making those bows--you've got a good thing goin there! Love and miss you!